In this article we will explain why spectacles repaint is a good idea and why you should do it. Do you have spectacles that are tarnished? The paint peeled off? The spectacles need restoration?
In these cases, most people believe they have no choice and they have to discard their comfortable old spectacles. We offer you another option: to restore your spectacles like new! We offer spectacles repaint services with powder coating. Our spectacles paint will be more lasting than the original!
…what if the lenses are still clear and in very good conditions? Or what if your frame is still comfortable to wear? What if the glasses were expensive? What if the spectacles have sentimental value for you?
At Visio Optical, we offer a great alternative to discarding good-quality old frames. You can send them to repaint, which can make them look as good as new. Repainting is an effective and reliable way to refresh old spectacles. It can be a better option than investing in a new pair, especially if you have a luxury product.
What’s involved in repainting a frame?
Old glasses can be restored within a matter of days. We use the powder-coating process to cover the entire surface with a fine, even layer of paint. This gives the frames a sleek and polished appearance.
There are no scratches or chips visible once the powder coating is complete. You can experiment with fun colors and repaint the frames as many times you want. Here is a look at what is included in the service:
- It works for metal frames – We can color and refurbish metal frames only. If you have a frame made of stainless steel, titanium, or other metals, we can repaint it.
- Wide range of colors – We have collected over 100 unique colors over time. You can choose any color from this palate or even choose multiple colors. We do not do color-matching. But you can surely find a color that you like in our collection.
- Quick turnaround – We can powder coat a frame in just 2 to 3 days. The process is labor intensive and takes some time to do properly. However, if you need the glasses urgently, we may be able to expedite the process. Same day repaint service is also possible!
- Better than new – Depending on the skills and experience of the technician, your glasses can look even better than new. If your frames looked good online but are not as attractive in real life, you can send them in for repainting. There are many colors available to you.
Repainting is an effective and quick process that can prolong the lifespan of your glasses. If you want to hang on to the old frames, do not hesitate to send them in for a refresh.
Reasons to Repaint the Frame
Repainting has become a popular option for eyeglass wearers. It is a great way to customize your look or extend a frame’s lifespan. Different people choose this option for different reasons and here are some of them:
- Expensive frames. Many people spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a high-end frame. They do not want to make a similar investment just a few months after buying their new frames. Repainting is a much more affordable alternative because your frame will look as good as new.
- High fashion and vintage frames. Maybe you have a great pair of eyeglasses from exclusive brands like Oakley, Ray-Ban, Maui Jim, etc.. And you want to stick with repainting them instead of a replacement. No one likes to discard frames that are special and hard to find, regardless of how old they are.
- Sentimental value. Some frames have sentimental value that goes beyond their price tag. For example, you may want to preserve your parent’s or grandparent’s glasses as a memory. Sometimes, the spectacles were a gift from a loved one, or they were bought from the first earnings.
If you value a frame, you may want to keep it in a good condition. Powder coating will protect the frame from wear and tear while making sure they look good. Vintage frames from well-known brands can also get the same treatment. Many collectors like to refurbish old frames, and we are here to help.
- Changing color. Some people are just bored with their existing spectacles color after spending months wearing it. For example, you may have changed your job and you want to change your look along to get a fresh start. Then, changing frame color is a great option.
There are several reasons why people change the color of their frames. Most are happy with the results and come back for more changes later. If your frame has not major physical damage, you can restore it so that it looks brand new. We especially recommend buying new spectacles if the current pair has damages that compromise their physical integrity.
What is powder coating?
Powder coating is the process of applying pigmented powder over a cleaned metal surface. It provides vivid, durable, and effective results, which is why it is a popular medium for restoring glasses.
Several applications make use of powder coating, including furniture and car painting. This shows you just how durable it is. Here is a look at the painting process:
- Cleaning and Stripping – Our technician cleans the frame, removing all traces of the old paint or coating. The clean metal surface allows the powder to adhere properly.
- Applying the powder – The next step is to apply the pigment powder on the frame. We apply the powder using an electrostatic charge. Creating static charge with electric current of 10000 volts, the powder will form an even layer over the frame surface. The powder will get a negative charge, and the metal frame with grounded charge with attract the powder.
- Curing in an oven – Once the coating is applied, we place the frame in the oven to cure the coat. This process changes the coating’s molecular structure, making it more gel-like and glossy. With heat, the powder bonds with the metal and forms a hard finish.
We apply a primer and color coat to ensure the results are truly durable. When applied properly, a powder-coated surface can handle all kinds of wear and tear without sustaining too much damage.
Why is powder coating better than painting?
Powder coating is a popular process in multiple industries because it offers many great advantages. Here is a look at some of the biggest advantages powder coating has over traditional paint:
- Resistant to wear – Powder coating is more resistant to scratches, chipping, and other forms of wear. When we expose the powder to heat in the oven, it forms a strong and resilient bond with the metal. If you apply a sufficiently thick layer of coating, it will protect your frame from deep scratches as well.
- Color retention – Wet paint colors can fade over time, especially if you use your spectacles in humid environments. It is common for such paint to wear or chip off. Powder-coated frames will resist longer than traditional wet paint.
- Different textures – You can also get different textures from powder coating. For example, some customers prefer a matte finish to glossy texture. That is easier to achieve through powder coating than through wet paint.
- Health – Liquid paint emits VOCs or Volatile Organic Compounds, which are harmful to your health. Regular exposure to VOCs is dangerous to our health. This might be not a big concern because frames have a small surface area. However, it is still something to consider.
This is a popular industrial technique because it is more efficient and provides better results. If you want old frames to look stylish and polished, we recommend powder coating over liquid paint.
Should you powder coat your glasses?
Short answer: yes! 🙂 Powder coating is a great choice to revive your spectacles. You won’t regret it! The first word that we get from our customers when they collect their powder coated glasses is: “WOW!”
Some customers hesitate to send their frames in for powder coating because they worry about damage. This is a safe process that will not damage your eyeglasses.
If customers are not satisfied with the color or texture, we can always change it in a couple of days. Powder coating also protects metal frames from rusting. If you live in a particularly humid area like Singapore, this process will help preserve your frames for a long time.
And if you want to change the look of your eyeglasses, we recommend powder coating over any other restorative solutions.
If you want to know more about this service, do not hesitate to get in touch with us at Visio Optical. Our expert will be happy to explain the process and costs involved so you can make an informed decision. (READ MORE ABOUT SPECTACLES REPAINT)