Visio Optical - Displaying items by tag: eye exam
Regular eye tests
Regular eye examinations are important for early diagnosis and treatment of any problems that may happen to your eyesight
Some eye problems have no symptoms in their early stages, so you may not know you have a problem until it is late and harder to fix. Thus, you should protect your eyesight with regular eye examinations.
Getting your regular eye test is important. You should have an eye test not just when you buy new spectacles or contact lenses. An eye test involves a general assessment of your eyesight in relation to your visual needs. It gives you the opportunity to find health problems in your eyes before you even notice an effect on your eyesight, as it slowly gets worse.
The eye test includes an assessment of defects such as myopia (shortsightedness), hyperopia (farsighedness), astigmatism, presbyopia (old sight), amblyopia (lazy eyes), and more. If your eyes are at risk of serious problems, our primary eye-care and vision specialists will either monitor your condition or refer you to a specialist eye surgeon for treatment/surgery.
What can you expect?
Our eye exam usually involves these steps:
- First, you may be asked about any vision problems you might be experiencing, and your medical history.
- Next, we will measure how clearly you can see (visual acuity). This helps determine your prescription for glasses or contact lenses.
- Our optometrists may check the health of your eyes. Sometimes some lights are used to evaluate the front of the eye and inside of each eye (the slit-lamp examination).
- Finally, you will discuss what was found during the exam and the products that will give you a sharp and most comfortable vision.
What should you take to the test?
You should take with you the spectacles you currently use.
- Bring your old prescription with you (if you still have it).
- You should mention the names of any tablets or medicine you are taking and the name of your doctor (i.e. GP, specialist, etc).
How long does the eye test take?
- The main visual acuity test may take about 5-10 minutes.
- Since people can have very different problems, the duration of consultation will vary from individual to individual, and it should take about 15 - 30 minutes
Visual acuity test
This test measures how clearly you can see. You will be asked to identify different letters of the alphabet on a screen positioned some distance away. For those who are not able to read the alphabet, other objects will be used. The lines of type get smaller as you move down the chart. Each eye is tested separately. Your near vision also may be tested, using a card that is held at reading distance.
A slit lamp is a microscope that magnifies and illuminates the front of your eye with a light. Our optometrists use this light to examine the eyelids, lashes, cornea, iris, lens and fluid chamber between your cornea and iris.
If you need more in-depth tests, depending on your age, medical history and risk of developing eye disease, our primary eye-care specialists will advise you to visit an ophthalmologist (eye doctor) for your own benefit.
Eye Test for Children
Eye tests can be fun, and our examinations are kids-friendly. we also provide a kids corner where children can play and enjoy themselves before and after the test.
Eye Test for People With Disabilities
We are able to accommodate people in wheelchairs, and we can perform eye tests for them directly from their wheelchair.
How often should I get my eyes tested?
Regular eye tests can be scheduled as follow:
- Yearly for adults (including senior citizens)
- 6-monthly for children (or 3-monthly for children wearing spectacles), and
- Whenever you need to get new spectacles or contact lenses.
- Every 6 months for contact lens wearers.
- As instructed by your healthcare practitioner or doctor
- When you have a problem with your eyes or vision
- Further follow-ups may be required for a small minority of patients within a shorter time frame.
Visio Optical takes public eye care at hearth. We provide eye tests to our patients. Anybody who wants to have their eye tested, may come to our store for a consultation.
Get it now!
You don't need an appointment. Just pop by, and our competent staff will assist you with qualified service.
We encourage our current customers to take advantage of this service, and to have their eye screened every 12 months. For their convenience, we message them with a reminder every year. If you are a new customer at Visio Optical, you will also benefit from this service.
Serving the community
As a testimony of our commitment to the public eye care, Visio Optical has been conducting free Public Health Screening exercises since 2006. With a focus on the young and the elderly, we have been providing free on-site eye tests to schools and nursing homes.
See clearly, check yearly!