You slather your skin with sunscreen before heading out for a day outdoors. But do you think about your eyes? Most people still don’t know that exposing their eyes to the sun’s UVA and UVB rays can be as damaging as it is for their skin.
The effects of UV damage are cumulative. In fact, every year 3.2 million people go blind from eye conditions caused by prolonged exposure to UV.
However, considering that 80 percent of a person’s lifetime exposure to UV occurs by age 18, wearing high quality sunwear that blocks 100 percent of both UVA and UVB rays is just as important for kids as it is for adults.
Experience the Outdoors Like Never Before
Xperio polarized sunwear gives you better protection and comfort than tinted lenses can achieve.
Ordinary tints can reduce brightness and provide UV protection (if they are properly treated), but only Xperio offers no glare, better clarity of vision, the ability to see true colors and the fact the lens color will not fade over time.
- UV Protection: Everyone is at risk of vision damage because of harmful UV rays. Xperio polarized lenses completely block UV rays providing 100% UVA/UVB protection – reducing potential vision damage. Xperio allows you to experience your world more safely and more beautifully.
- Safety: Xperio lenses eliminate dangerous glare – even dashboard glare – for greater driving safety. A recent clinical study measured driver reaction times for Xperio polarized lenses versus ordinary tints and found that driver reaction times were improved by 1/3 of a second. For a car traveling 50 mph, 1/3 of a second allows a driver to stop a vehicle 23 feet sooner.
- Performance: Xperio polarized lenses let you see even the smallest thigns with greater clarity, true color perception and total comfort.
What is Glare?
Glare is described as a loss of visibility due to high intensity light. Glare essentially overpowers the eye, making it unable to adapt.
Polarized light produces "veiling glare" on the retina, sometimes called blinding glare. Much like looking through a sheer set of curtains hanging in front of your living room window, or the veil that is worn by a bride, objects reflecting polarized light lose some of their clarity and contrast for the observer. Colors also appear washed out.
The higher the degree of polarization the light possesses, the more it interferes with vision. Wearing polarized lenses allow a greter eye comfort, an unmatched clarity of vision and a truer color perception compared to ordinary sunlenses.
What is polarized light?
Light is emitted in waves by the sun, or by artificial sources like a bulb. These waves vibrate and travel in all directions from the source. When light encounters an object, it can reflect and enter the eyes. This light is focused onto the retina and sent to the brain where vision occurs.
Often, light reflects back to our eyes from shiny surfaces such as roads or buildings, car hoods, sand, and water. When this happens, the reflected light waves now travel in a single horizontal plane and with high intensity.
This "flattened" light is known as "polarized light". When light bounces off a shiny surface, it can become polarized and enter the eye causing blinding glare.
Reduced Eye Strain
Because the visual comfort of our wearers is a top-priority for us, we strongly encourage you to choose Xperio polarized sunlenses as your primary outdoor pair.
- Wearing just ordinary sunglasses under the sun may lead to eyestrain.
- Xperio polarized lenses block bothersome glare protecting the eyes and preventing from headaches.
Did you know "visual comfort" is the main benefit wearers are looking for when they choose their sunlenses, more than UV protection?
Behind the wheel, more than 90% of decisions and reactions depend on good vision. Glare delays driver reaction times. Xperio lenses virtually eliminate blinding glare and offer a better anticipation on the road.
In 2008, a specialized institute measured driver reaction times for Xperio polarized lenses vs ordinary sunlenses. (1)
Driver reaction time is improved by 1/3 of a second, allowing drivers to stop the vehicle 7 meters sooner at 80km/h.
It’s the length of an intersection!
In the presence of glare, it has been proven by usage tests (2) that polarized lenses improve contrast sensitivity by 75% allowing wearers to enjoy a better clarity of vision as opposed to ordinary sunlenses.
In addition, Xperio polarized lenses passed the standard test of traffic light recognition. (3)
Xperio lenses are recommended to drive more safely!
Without Xperio Polarized lenses
With Xperio Polarized lenses
(1) Contrast Sensitivity and Reaction Times with Polarized and Tinted Lenses in a Driving Environment. Study carried by an independant third party in the United States. 2009
(2) Survey conducted on 20 wearers, comparing visual performance with polarized and non-polarized sunglasses under reflected glare by measuring contrast sensitivity – Essilor R&D.
(3) Survey blue Light protection versus traffic light recognition (Xperio lenses vs 2 competitors leading the US Market) – Spectral analysis made by an independent third party in the United States.
Light can be dazzling, making it uncomfortable and difficult to see clearly. Colors are dulled because of this dazzling light. It can happen when you are walking outside, when you are practicing watering activities or even in the city where the sun's rays are reflected from many shiny surfaces.
Xperio polarized lenses eliminate glare and thus reveal the true colors of your environment. You'll appreciate the ability to see all the detail nature offers.
Clinical study show that Xperio polarized lenses improve contrast sensitivity by 75% allowing wearers to experience the outdoors with increased clarity of vision, as opposed to ordinary tinted lenses. (1)
(1) Survey conducted on 20 wearers, comparing visual performance with polarized and non-polarized sunglasses under reflected glare, by measuring Contrast Sensitivity - Saint Maur - Essilor R&D.